"Failure seldom stops you. What stops you is the fear of failure" -Jack Lemmon



Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Strength

Deadlift:

20 reps x 95 lbs.
2 x 185
1 x 235
1 x 255
1 x 305
10 x 185
10 x 95

Power Snatch:

5 reps x 65 lbs.
6 x 85
7 x 95

I wanted to try and get some strength training in this morning with Tony.  I warmed up on the deadlift quickly with 95 lbs. and continued to work up to 305 lbs, which I got up fairly easily.  I decided to go back down in weight at that point to work on touching up my form.  After I completed the deadlifts, Tony showed me how to power snatch.  I didn't use much weight but did start to feel comfortable with the form I was shooting for, maybe not doing, during the last set. 

I am going to try to get on the rowing machine sometime after work to do the 500 meter interval workout from yesterday.

WOD

5 rounds of 500 meter row with 2 minute break in between

Round 1 - 1:27.5
Round 2 - 1:39.6

6 minute break

Round 3 - 1:51.2
Round 4 - 1:44.0
Round 5 - 1:46.3

I made the mistake of going home after work and not directly to the gym.  I had to fight with myself to get into the gym and get this WOD done.  After I did it, I realized I should have just stayed on the couch.  I learned tonight there are definite pluses and minuses to each workout.  The first round was a personal best for me.  The 1:27.5 was 2 1/2 seconds faster than I have ever rowed 500 meter before.  That is where the pluses stopped and the minuses began to rack up.  After the second round I thought I was having a heart attack, my feet started cramping and if it weren't for Lucas looking at me like I was going crazy, I would have packed my stuff up, left, and acted like I never even showed up at the gym in the first place.  Once I paced around the room and was back on the rower I felt okay averaging in the upper 1:40's.  I know Tony would have been yelling "Don't feel sorry for yourself," but I definitely was.  Next time I do this workout I will see what kind of average I can set without killing myself in the first round.

No comments:

Post a Comment